How to Relax Your Shoulders with Massage and Heat
May 04, 2023
Best Smart Watches
Shoulder pain is a problem that many working people and students face from time to time. How can you relax your shoulders? Massage and hot compress are good ways, let's take a look.
1 Massage tender points on the neck.
Massage works the neck muscles and relieves muscle tension, especially in a fixed position. We call these touch points. And these tender points are actually tense or overworked muscle hardening.
- Using your thumb and forefinger, gently press on the muscles that connect your neck and shoulders. Also known as the trapezius, this muscle runs up your skull and down your back, covering your shoulders. There may be multiple tender points on the trapezius muscle, which feel like ropes during massage. Once these points are pressed, the whole muscle feels.
- Use your thumb and forefinger, or knuckles, to gently massage tired neck muscles. If you have a colleague, friend, or other partner nearby, ask them to massage the tender points on your trapezius.
- Professional massage can also relax the shoulder and neck muscles. Getting a monthly massage is a great way to relieve muscle tension and pain.
2 Foam rolling is also a great way to relax, as you can use it to massage tender spots and relieve neck tension.
Foam rollers are available at most sporting goods stores. It is recommended to choose the longest foam shaft with a diameter of about 15 cm.
- Lay the foam roller flat on the floor or mat, with your back resting on the foam roller. You can place your hands on your hips, or as far as your sides.
- Keeping your torso parallel to the floor, roll the foam roller up and down to massage your back and shoulder muscles. You should feel the tense muscles gradually relax, if any.
- Massage at least 20 times on both sides of the body to relieve tension in the neck and shoulders. Continuing to use foam rolling every day can help with muscle tension and soreness.
3 Heat compresses can relieve muscle soreness and cramping, so try applying heat to your neck for 20 minutes at a time.
- In addition to hot compresses, you can also choose cold compresses for the neck. Cold compresses also have the effect of relieving pain.
4 Take a hot shower.
Soaking in hot water for a long time can relieve the tension of shoulder and neck muscles. Lie flat in the bathtub as much as possible, allowing the shoulders and neck to fully soak in the hot water.
- A hot shower is also okay, but make sure the shower is long enough to warm and relax your neck muscles. You can sit on a small stool while taking a shower, so that the water can fully wash the back of the neck.
- You can also take the opportunity to stretch your neck while taking a shower. Combined with hot water, the muscles can be stretched more fully.
In addition to the follow-up relief measures such as massage and hot compress, it is also important to cure the disease from the source. This has to mention sedentary, in order to avoid sedentary, you can try to use BP Smartwatch to set reminders.